Use this age chart to determine what division is appropriate for your player.
Little League® Softball Divisions of Play
At BYS, the L.L. Division of Play is broken up into the following Divisions:
Tee Ball (4-6-year-olds)
- Primary goals are to instruct children in the fundamentals of softball and to allow them to experience the value of teamwork.
- Players hit a ball off a batting tee. Rules of the game may be varied to accommodate the need for teaching. No live pitching is permitted.
Coach Pitch (6-7-year-olds)
- Continued introduction of softball
- Coaches pitch the ball to the players, typically five pitches at first half of the season (last two tries with tee), three strikes at the second half of the season.
Minor Softball (8-10-year-olds)
- First level of kid pitch softball
- More in-depth softball training.
- Kids will learn how to pitch, work on more strategic defensive and offensive plays.
Major Softball (10-12 year-olds)
- Intermediate player level
- Pitchers and batters will see multiple types of pitches, coaches will teach signs, how to produce more defensive and offensive plays.
Junior Softball (12 - 14 year-olds)
Players may qualify for a league’s 11- to 12-year-old tournament team which includes an opportunity to advance to the Little League Baseball® World Series in South Williamsport.